Nov 19th, Field Leader (Winter) Canmore
November 19 @ 9:00 am – 5:00 pm MST
Field Leader (Winter) Course Successful graduates will be certified as OCC ‘Field Leader’ with a ‘Winter’ specialization.
Field Leader (Hiking) and a current membership in the OCC are pre-requisites for this course.
Course fee includes; instruction, student manual (as a pdf), and one year’s membership fee to the Outdoor Council of Canada.
Please note: You are required to read the manual and answer the quizzes in it before you come the the course. Once you have registered you will be sent an email containing a link to the manual and quizzes.
The learning format will be primarily guided experiential learning. Topics covered include:
- Reviewing the role of the leader, leadership style, communication and team-building.
- Integrating ‘activity’ ‘participant’ and ‘venue’ characteristics in a winter setting so as to promote event quality and safety
- Constructing a winter activity plan
- Identifying hazards and mitigation strategies in the winter environment
- Group management in the winter environment
- Enhancing situational awareness for quality and safety management
- Emergency response
- Post trip debriefing and facilitation
Prerequisites: Field Leader (Hiking) and a current membership in the OCC
Cancellation policy: There is a $15 administration fee to cancel up to 7 days prior to the start of the course. No refund available after 7 days prior.