(Outdoor Field Leader (Hiking)
+ Project Wild + Below Zero)
Successful graduates will be certified as OCC 'Outdoor Field Leaders' with a 'Hiking' specialization and as Project Wild and Below Zero Instructors.
Course fee includes; instruction, Field Leader (Hiking) manual (as a pdf), Project Wild and Project Zero Manuals, three certifications, food and accommodation, and one year's membership fee to the Outdoor Council of Canada.
Please note: You are required to read the Field Leader (Hiking) manual and answer the quizzes in it before you come the the course. Once you have registered you will be sent an email containing a link to the manual and quizzes.
The course will be split between in-class learning (50%) and field exercises (50%). The learning format will be primarily guided discussions. Topics covered include:
Field Leader (Hiking):
- Understanding the role of the leader and leadership style
- Integrating ‘activity’ ‘participant’ and ‘venue’ characteristics so as to promote event quality and safety
- Constructing an activity plan
- Identifying hazards and mitigation strategies
- Communication and team building between participants, co-leaders and other stakeholders
- Group management in the field
- Enhancing situational awareness for quality and safety management
- Emergency response
- Post trip debriefing and facilitation
Project Wild and Project Zero:
Delivery of Project Wild and Project Zero materials to children and youth
Prerequisites: The only prerequisite for this course is a love of the outdoors and a passion to share that experience with others.