(Outdoor Field Leader (Hiking)
+ Project Wild)
Successful graduates will be certified as OCC 'Outdoor Field Leaders' with a 'Hiking' specialization and as Project Wild Instructors.
This course is suitable for anyone wanting the FL (Hiking) certification, or planning to become an instructor of this course.
Course fee includes; instruction, student manual (as a pdf), certification, food and accommodation, and one year's membership fee to the Outdoor Council of Canada.
Please note: You are required to read the Field Leader (Hiking) manual and answer the quizzes in it before you come the the course. Once you have registered you will be sent an email containing a link to the manual and quizzes.
The course will be split between in-class learning (50%) and field exercises (50%). The learning format will be primarily guided experiential learning. Topics covered include:
Field Leader (Hiking):
- Understanding the role of the leader and leadership style
- Integrating ‘activity’ ‘participant’ and ‘venue’ characteristics so as to promote event quality and safety
- Constructing an activity plan
- Identifying hazards and mitigation strategies
- Communication and team building between participants, co-leaders and other stakeholders
- Group management in the field
- Enhancing situational awareness for quality and safety management
- Emergency response
- Post trip debriefing and facilitation
Delivery of Project Wild materials to children and youth
Prerequisites: The only prerequisite for this course is a love of the outdoors and a passion to share that experience with others.